The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/however-the-windsor-ii-fund-made-over-10-the-24015758.aspx

Subject:  Re: Dollar Cost Averaging Mistakes? Date:  4/25/2006  9:39 AM
Author:  MurrayS Number:  51386 of 76106

However, the Windsor II Fund made over 10% the past 12 months, but I made only a little over 4% due to the "unlucky" days that my DCA purchases were made. Are there historically any "good" days in the month to make purchases? Just trying to not let unlucky market "timing" of my automatic purchases affect my returns.

First, I don't believe making contributions twice a month will help or hurt your returns to any significant amount. Unless your investments are taken out automatically, I would just go to once a month.

Second, I think your micro managing your investment. Yes, you should evaluate your investments to make sure they still meet your needs, but you shouldn't sweat which day you put your money in.

I have to assume that you'll be putting money in for years if not decades. This one year will be but a tiny blip in the end.

-murray

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us