The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/1-pay-off-the-debt-2-consider-a-high-interest-24015892.aspx

Subject:  Re: What to do now? Date:  4/25/2006  10:05 AM
Author:  SuaSponteMark Number:  51391 of 76098

1) Pay off the debt.

2) Consider a high interest internet bank such as HSBC Direct, Emigrant Direct, or ING for your $42k in savings.  They're comparable to PayPal and they are also FDIC insured, whereas PayPal is not.  Also, PayPal doesn't have to follow all the rules banks do, and can and have frozen accounts in the past on very thin suspicions.  Never happened to me and I've been using them since 2000, but I've heard a few stories.

Also, despite what you think and have reiterated, you're really not earning 4.52% per month.  Not even Warren Buffet makes this very often.  It's spelled out very clearly on their site.  It's the same rate that I earn and everyone else earns on there.  Don't be confused on this...you really truly aren't earning what would amount to a 70% APY.  Trust me on this...I missed 30 points on the math part of the SAT but it wasn't on compounding interest questions.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us