The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/you-might-work-for-far-longer-than-you-otherwise-24036050.aspx

Subject:  Re: The myth of the $1 million retirement Date:  4/29/2006  10:50 AM
Author:  ResNullius Number:  51481 of 75383

You might work for far longer than you otherwise would need to, costing your self the the early years (and possibly a lot) of your retirement time.

I decided early on that I didn't want to die with my boots on, sitting at my desk directing the future of the human race. Over the years, I watched many people I knew die from whatever. One of my partners died on the crapper while at work, age 45. I had several partners who still came to work long after they had lost their minds and use of their bodies, but missing a day from the office was just unthinkable. I decided that I was going to get the hell out as soon as I could get my financial situation in order, which turned out to be two weeks short of my 49th birthday. I'm 56 now, and I've never regretted the decision. I have a new life, one that brings me satisfaction and relative peace of mind. I do a little part-time consulting, but that's going to end soon, at least I hope so. DW has left the race, and she's a much saner person now. I dare say that we are actually happy for the first time in decades. Beware of waiting too long to grab for the brass ring, because all you might get is a fist full of dirt.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us