The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Agnostic/Deist Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/interesting-thoughts-in-the-same-vein-i-was-24175943.aspx

Subject:  Re: Belief in .... something. Date:  6/1/2006  4:41 PM
Author:  0x6a74 Number:  482 of 491

Interesting thoughts. In the same vein, I was wondering the other day about people who are vehemently vocal and critical of anyone who even suggests that they believe in anything relating to ghosts, magic, superstition, metaphysics, &/or psychic phenomenon.

How many of these people will 'follow hunches' or 'go with their feelings' on a matter? This is not to say that the 'bandwagon' theory of 'if so many believe, it must be true' is true. But it does say something about human nature for the need to follow something beyond their consciousness.

there is a difference.... superstition and ghosts are External (to the particular person) ... the Raven feather that protects me from car-accident, eg.

intuitions are internal ...really just non-verbal brain function.

but mostly agree with your point --a lot of the folks who'd say, "EEK! Superstition! Religion!! Irrational irrational!" will also happily follow irrational hunches.

-b
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us