The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-still-shaking-my-head-on-this-one-on-april-17-24244904.aspx

Subject:  Re: Penalty for Payment sent with return on 4/17 Date:  6/19/2006  11:57 AM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  87463 of 121565

I still shaking my head on this one. On April 17, I sent my return and a check for a 4-figure tax owed. Last week, I got a letter notifying me of a penalty and interest for a late payment. I called, and tell them I sent the payment in on the correct date, with my return. I was informed that, just like the bank, if you mail the check on the due date, it won't get posted for several days after that, and your payment will be late.

You were misinformed. Timely mailed equals timely completed. Something is obviously wrong since they didn't charge you late filing penalty (5% of the balance due), but they did charge you late payment penalty and interest. I'd call them back and work up the food chain. "Everyone has a supervisor, and I want to speak to yours.

Before doing that, find the appropriate dates from your canceled check. On the back of the check is the IRS's endorsement. It will show your SSN, the first 4 letters of your last name, "30" "200512" the amount and a date. Also find out the date the check cleared your bank.

Phil
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us