The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/vanguard-at-which-we-have-an-account-says-there-24252893.aspx

Subject:  Re: Treasury Direct vs. Vgd. for Tbills Date:  6/21/2006  7:50 AM
Author:  Lokicious Number:  17194 of 35357

Vanguard, at which we have an account, says there is no fee to purchase 6 month T-bills. It seems simpler to just make the purchases through Vanguard, than to open another account at Treasury Direct. Is there a reason to use TD instead of Vanguard or Fidelity?

Assuming you qualify for free auction purchases of Treasuries (T-bills, Notes, TIPS) through Vanguard Brokerage Service, the only reason I can think of for using T-Direct is convenience/minimizing time lag, and I may be out of date on "just-in-time" transfers of cash to Vanguard.

In my experience, it has always been easy to drip money from my bank to Vanguard for fund purchases on a given date. It wasn't possible, as of a couple of years ago, to get an exact amount taken from the bank account for brokerage purchases, so it meant keeping money in a Vanguard Money Market (which paid less than my bank Money Market). Not a big deal, and I haven't checked lately whether you can now set up instant transfers without the expense of wiring money.

One definite advantage of Vanguard would be you can get paper account statements. I must say, I'm somewhat nervous about relying on print-outs for T-Direct account (especially since I'm now trying to use a perfectly good printer that is marginally compatible with my new computer).
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us