The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Self employment tax Date:  6/22/2006  7:03 PM
Author:  DeltaOne81 Number:  87523 of 127753

He's probably giving a 1099 so he can take a child care credit, but because you aren't running a daycare, it's more of a gift, especially since you are family.

Its not a gift. A gift has to have absolutely no strings attached. This is definitely compensation. Yes, you should definitely track them as best you can, including mileage, keep receipts, etc.

I'm not sure exactly how you'd file this, but I'm pretty darn sure that you'd have to pay some sort of tax on it if you cant prove expenses.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us