The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Avoiding gift tax via a Corporation Date:  6/28/2006  2:43 PM
Author:  aj485 Number:  87589 of 127643

I know the IRS allows a gift of $10,000 (possibly higher now?) to anyone tax-free each year.

It's $12k per year now, and indexed for future years.

If the amount to be gifted was for example $50,000 it would take 5 years to receive the money tax-free.

Close, but it's $12k from one person to another person, so you could receive $24k from your parents a year ($12k from Mom plus $12k from Dad). If you are married, your spouse could similarly receive $24k from your Mom and Dad. So, if you are single - $24k/year - 2 years and change to get $50k. If you are married, 1 year and change to get $50k.

And it's by calendar year, so actually in this case, you could get $24k now and $24k in January, then the other $2k the following January.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us