The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Avoiding gift tax via a Corporation Date:  6/28/2006  6:27 PM
Author:  Bob78164 Number:  87593 of 127753

elZaphod writes (in part):

My parents recently inherited an estate and told my sister and myself (quite generously) that they would like to pass a considerable amount of it on to us once the home is sold.

I reply:

This might (and I emphasize might) be a situation where it's appropriate to set up a fairly sophisticated estate planning structure. For example, perhaps you set up an LLC in which you have a small economic interest but all of the voting interest (using an A-B share structure to accomplish this), but your parents have most of the economic interest but no voting interest. Over time, they could give to you as much or as little of their economic interest as they'd like, and if they remain of their present mind, you would eventually end up with all of it.

Needless to say, this is as far as I can imagine from a do-it-yourself project. If you want to investigate this approach, you have a serious need for an attorney. --Bob
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us