The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/mein-both-cases-civil-and-criminal-the-24300324.aspx

Subject:  Re: The Cost Basis Crisis Date:  7/3/2006  3:37 PM
Author:  Wradical Number:  87653 of 123001

(Me:)In both cases [civil and criminal], the burden of proof is on the party with the evidence to support its assertions.

(Eric:) No. In the criminal case, the burden of proof rests solely on the government. The defense need make no defense whatsoever beyond merely denying the charges.

Our tax reporting system is based on self-reporting. In a tax audit, the taxpayer, who filled out his own return, with numbers that may look funny, has the burden of proving the accuracy of those numbers - which isn't unreasonable, as he has already sworn that, "to the best of my knowledge [the return] is true, correct, and complete."

In the case I referred to earlier:
It was an amended return [that resulted in a no-change letter], with some odd circumstances, that was practically asking for it.

Eric: This is the part, the "practically asking for it," in the whole thread that bothers me.