The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Buying or Selling a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/aj-thanks-for-the-advice-and-i-realize-you-are-24310873.aspx

Subject:  Re: Mortgage: How much to help a kid? Date:  7/6/2006  2:20 PM
Author:  JEDIKNIGHT Number:  96985 of 127237

AJ...

Thanks for the advice, and I realize you are only going by the background I provided, which is pretty basic.

As far as lawyers in the Bay Area, I understand what you mean.

As far as partners in firms making good money, I understand that too.

In an nutshell, my sister has personally come to us and while she likes being a lawyer, understands there are other avenues out there. Odds are she is planning a change.

Odds are that if she does, 5 years from now she'll be worth more than the most senior partner in her firm today. She was a 4.0 student and excelled at academics, so we supported it 100%. But she is realizing that having 7 times her current income ain't too bad either.

And, there is lots more background to this than I mentioned in the thread, as it was just a thread on down payment assistance.

As far as "kick in the pants" for brother in law, they've BOTH come to us. She wants to do better. He has seen that there is another world out there for the more aggressive, and higher achieving and wants to be a part of it. To truly know this situation, one need be face to face with them.

Jedi

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us