The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/it-seems-to-me-that-in-criminal-cases-where-the-24339307.aspx

Subject:  Re: The Cost Basis Crisis Date:  7/13/2006  2:33 PM
Author:  ErinKG Number:  87778 of 121261

It seems to me that in criminal cases, where the defendent can do jail time if convicted, he should get a full jury of 12. Apparently the law permits fewer jurors.

I agree that less than 12 jurors sounds odd. When I learned about juries of 6, I was surprised, however they do seem pretty common now - trying to save money I guess.

What juror gave misinformation? I was there. The other jurors seemed to all be logically challenged, to use a euphemism. One juror spent a lot of time on a cell phone, contrary to the judge's order that no pagers or cell phones were permitted in the jury room. But that is not the same as presenting misinformation. Jurors present no information. Their job is to evaluate the information presented by the two attorneys.

Perhaps I misunderstood what you wrote - I thought that one of the jurors said you only needed to find him guilty beyond a preponderance of a doubt. That's what I meant by giving misinformation. Granted, I didn't go back and read the OP, so I could have mistakenly attached this statement to a juror when it was someone else who said it.

So the defendent was guilty because the defense attorney failed to even attempt to prove him innocent.

I'm guessing he was an indigent and he was appointed this attorney? If not, the defendant really picked a bad attorney, but that's not uncommon.

Actual trials are nothing like on Perry Mason or 12 Angry Men.

Very true - they are generally very boring to sit through and it's hard to be the one in the jury room holding out (I was in the same position once).

My point in my previous post was just to say that the trial (from what I read) seemed to follow standard procedure and the non-standard stuff in the jury room was out of the control of the judge (or the defendant) unless one of the jurors would have informed the judge that those things were happening.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us