The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thanks-charlie-and-loki-for-all-the-advice-24359569.aspx

Subject:  Re: Inflation/Crash Insurance Date:  7/18/2006  4:08 PM
Author:  elnuevo Number:  17574 of 35397

Thanks Charlie and Loki for all the advice. Although my first questions weren't answered, more important questions I didn't realize I had certainly were. (i.e. the risks of bond funds, correct motives behind investment decisions, the sleaziness of Ed-J, etc.) Wow! sure glad I posted to this board!

Loki wrote "What you were asking for here, initially, was what to do with money you had decided to pull out of the stock market and allocate into bonds/fixed-income"

Actually it's cash I just haven't invested yet. I have $63,000 sitting in my three-month old Scottrade account. I'm waiting (not-so-patiently) until I actually have some idea what I'm doing before I make any big decisions. Instead of rushing in and getting in over my head like so many other naive "investors" who's lamentations I've read in these boards.

What actually brought me to this board in the first place is how unnerving it is to see that much money just sitting there while I try to learn how and where to invest it.

I thought I'd just dump half of it into bonds for now while I educate myself in stock valuation. Apparently, it's not that simple.

I believe I'm on the right track anyway. Some of the books I've read in the past two months are Roger Lowenstein's Buffet, The Making of an American Capitalist, Graham's Intelligent Investor, I've subscribed to TMFs Hidden Gems, and SmartMoney and read dozens of articles on stock valuation and financial statement analysis.

I would still like to find a safe, interest bearing, place for my cash while I hone my investing skills and/or find a good money manager.

Think I'll be sticking around this board for a while...

Ryan
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us