The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Fool Community Help Desk / Improve the Fool

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-apologies-if-i-am-double-posting-i-did-24367801.aspx

Subject:  Re: Most Visually Appealing Websites Date:  7/20/2006  11:01 AM
Author:  kat144g Number:  71168 of 88953

My apologies if I am double posting-- I did something odd.
I would like to offer up an explanation as to why the Cornell site is so appealing.
#1 The folks who designed the site have obviously read and implemented their Edward Tufte. Three cheers. Note especially the use of the verdana font, the soothing off-white background, and lack of blinking, flashing things.
#2 These folks are also probably fans of Robin Williams and her books on Design for the Non-designer. Ms Williams champions 4 simple but important ideas (with an easy to remember acronym): 1, C- contrast-- make different stuff really different, 2, R - repetition-- pick a form and stick to it, 3, A - alignment-- note that the Cornell page has three columns with everything left aligned, no sudden switch to center alignment, 4 P- proximity-- headlines and select options are close to their referred text. I'll leave it to you all to work out the acronym...

Cheers,
Kat
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us