The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/bthomas15-you-wrote-butcould-it-be-the-other-24371246.aspx

Subject:  Re: Blockbuster Date:  7/21/2006  12:06 AM
Author:  joelcorley Number:  232449 of 308882

bthomas15,

You wrote, But...could it be the other way around? That the DVD in question was incorrectly entered into my account? (Instead of my cc info being put into someone else's file).

Yes, its possible. A mistake would be almost impossible if they only required your membership card when you checked out a DVD; but Blockbuster will usually look up your account based solely on information like your name and phone number - information that another person that knows you might also know.

But unless you can get Blockbuster to track down the source of the mistake and own up to it, how will you ever know that the scenario I've suggested isn't the one that happened? I've been told that you should never suspect fraud when incompetence more readily explains the mistake. Unless you can be sure that your account hasn't been compromised in this way, I think you have to assume you must have the credit card company issue you a new card and account number.

- Joel
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us