The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-will-be-eligible-for-medicare-soon-and-am-being-24394258.aspx

Subject:  Re: Medicare Date:  7/27/2006  9:57 AM
Author:  reallyalldone Number:  938 of 1498

I will be eligible for medicare soon and am being asked by my insurance company if I plan on picking it up. I plan on keep working and have good health insurance policy. I don't have a good understanding of this whole issue. Is there any benefit for me to go on Medicare?

I'm a little surprised that your company doesn't require you to go on Medicare and to use your other insurance as gap insurance. I don't know a lot about getting it but am learning a lot about using it because of my mother. The one benefit I've noticed is a wider choice in hospitals and it seems like there is fuller coverage but this is anecdotal. For 2 weeks in the hospital, including days in critical care, she ended up owing nothing. There was a co-pay of just under $100 but her AARP gap insurance paid that(and after all this, I would highly recommend that as gap insurance if you're ever looking).

There's a ton of info about medicare at www.medicare.gov . YOu might also consider talking about it with your current doctor. I wouold also check with your flex plan people if one is available to see how that might work in paying medicare premiums.

rad
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us