The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-wouldnt-allow-any-of-the-potential-changes-to-24397455.aspx

Subject:  Re: Understanding Retirement Account Limits Date:  7/27/2006  8:28 PM
Author:  vtjon Number:  3857 of 5085

I wouldn't allow any of the potential changes to throw off your plan. I see people speculating on other boards that the income tax may go away in the future, so that people shouldn't contribute to ROTH accounts so as to take advantage of the tax write-off now while taxes exist.

It seems unlikely that Congress will allow the limits to be lowered, but who knows. There is so much craziness in the political arena that anything is possible. Most likely outcome seems to be status quo for these types of issues with contributions earmarked for inflation.

This is ALL speculation. Nobody can see the future. The best strategy is to keep it simple.

Put away as much money as possible in tax advantaged accounts. Go to taxable accounts after you max out tax advantaged. Don't let any of the potential noise distract you from this. Following those simple rules will be the best way to meet your future goals.

Just my two cents...
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us