The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-would-have-no-issue-with-investing-the-surplus-24421696.aspx

Subject:  Re: Don't worry about boomers killing the market Date:  8/3/2006  8:27 AM
Author:  DeltaOne81 Number:  52920 of 75794

I would have no issue with investing the surplus in something else as I believe I made quite clear (although it would need to be quite safe), but the 'personal accounts' would dedicate money to me that was already pegged for somebody else.

I'm not talking about 'managing someone elses money', which is a completely different concept. I'm talking about the fact that the SS money that you and I (unless you're retired) pay into the system, be it the amount that going out this year or the surplus that's going out in a handful of years, is already dedicated to someone else. Putting it in a 'personal account' for me, yet still telling that someone else that they'll get it too, is ridiculous.

It'd be like having an installment loan due in a few installments, and putting the money to pay it in my retirement account. And telling everybody that I'd get the money for me and the people that it was initially intended for would get it too. Yay, everybody's happy, right? Sure.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us