The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/2old-im-with-you-perhaps-agewise-as-well-we-24426325.aspx

Subject:  Re: Don't worry about boomers killing the market Date:  8/4/2006  6:52 AM
Author:  RetiredVermonter Number:  52937 of 75525

2old:

I'm with you -- perhaps agewise, as well.

We were severely limited until only a few years ago as to how much we could legally set aside in "tax deferred" accounts. Today, people can put huge amounts aside; if they don't, they have to share some of the blame if they one day haven't enough.

Yes, I fully realize that not ALL workers have the kind of income that lets them put huge sums aside, but neither did all of us have that much either, relatively, many years ago, but we did it, anyway.

I think the real problem as to do with so many people who actually earn a good living but who also very foolishly somehow think they can live way beyond their means, let alone even at their means, and borrow even more than they earn, just to buy expensive extra homes, cars, boats, trips and whatever.

Vermonter
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us