The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/tretirement-wont-happen-for-me-24481782.aspx

Subject:  t.Retirement won't happen for me Date:  8/17/2006  11:53 PM
Author:  Worksalot Number:  53218 of 75375

It appears to me that most of you guys are, well, guys. You proabaly are single or have wives who work and/or contribute to your lives otherwise. I am a single mom, like lots of other single moms, raising two daughters. I put myself through vet school 31 years ago and today own my own clinic. I'll be paying back the bank for 20 more years. Nowdays, single women who work also do the shopping, cooking, childcare, cleaning, the yard, the pets, the cars, home repairs, retirement planning, investments,and worry about healthcare. Small business owners are not allowed to deduct their own healthcare. I work 60 to 80 hours a week and with arthritis, struggle with 100 pound retrievers all day long. I provide my employees 100% of their healthcare, offer retirement accounts, flex accounts, continuing education and disability insurance but I am not allowed to have many of those benefits. I was able to get an HSA Blue Cross plan last year at great expense. At 56 years old, they could cancel me at any time for any reason. I will never be able to retire unless healthcare becomes reasonably affordable. I pray everyday that I will not get sick or disabled. Incidently, I have a handicapped child to support.
I'm not asking for sympathy, just the realization that not everyone has choices like you are discussing. I'm lucky to have a great education.
Congress needs to develop a workable healthcare system for those of us not employed by the federal governement. Many, many people are desperate for just basic healthcare coverage. I get very annoyed when I hear congress spending hours talking about whether they should outlaw flag burning. Let's get to some serious issues that affect real people.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us