The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/gtgt-the-joke-about-a-jury-being-made-up-of-24485266.aspx

Subject:  Re: t.Retirement won't happen for me Date:  8/18/2006  5:19 PM
Author:  SooozFool Number:  53243 of 75383

>>The joke about a jury being made up of people too dumb to get out of jury service is not only funny, it's got a ring of truth to it.<<

There's the rub. Those who feel they're too important to sit on a jury, or to devote much time and energy to deliberation, are an even bigger problem than those dismissed as "too dumb." Add to that the unrealistic tv-driven expectations people have about the quality and quantity of available evidence, the desire to have someone come up with *the* magic forensic answer instead of making hard calls about hard issues, and the interesting dynamics of any group of randomly-thrown-together people (ref: "Twelve Angry Men"), and you can get some wacked results even apart from the factors you've mentioned.

I sometimes wonder if juries would behave better, worse, or simply differently if they could be monitored (knowingly) on closed-circuit tv while deliberating. I'm sure it give the lawyers apoplexy. A field trip to a sausage factory might be less distressing.

SooozFool
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us