The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/bonds-mature-most-bond-funds-do-not-corporate-24529202.aspx

Subject:  Re: bond vs bond fund vs mmf Date:  8/30/2006  6:50 PM
Author:  Crosenfield Number:  18070 of 35377

Bonds mature. Most bond funds do not.
Corporate and treasury bonds are usually issued in denominations of $1000. Municiple bonds are issued in denominations of $5000.
If you don't have enough money for a bond,I'd stick with the money market. When beginning a bond portfolio, start with excellent quality.
I'm prejudiced and opinionated, but I'd consider a bond fund only if I wanted to add to my portfolio some bonds I couldn't buy individually. Examples might be foreign bonds, or junk bonds. If you have $5000 in bonds and one defaults, that is a major blow to your portfolio. If you have $500,000 in bonds and one defaults it is probably not that big a deal. A treasury bond fund? Why? Buy the individual treasury assuming you have at least $1000 to invest, and get it at auction through Treasury Direct.
If you have a fund, there will be annual expenses and an annual 1099. If you have a bond, there will be an annual 1099, but no expenses. You own it until it matures.
Best wishes, Chris
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us