The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-retired-1-jan-99-and-during-that-time-have-24541739.aspx

Subject:  Re: Going back to work Date:  9/3/2006  9:50 AM
Author:  arahfool Number:  10784 of 19483

I retired 1 Jan '99 and during that time have mostly played golf 4-5 days a week and some days that is like work <g>.

Because I retired from a career in automation I have taken on a number of 'jobs' , setting up small networks for local businesses, 'fixing' friends 'broken' computers and such. While 'plug and play' is a wonderful concept, when you plug it in and it don't play most people are lost.

I have also worked at a local golf club in numerous positions (counter, maintenance, ranger, etc), mostly for dues and such.

A current 'gig' is taking pictures of automobiles for posting to the dealer's websites. There are companies that specialize in this and they do a good job but are really pricey. Not sure how one gets into this as I just happened to know this particular dealer (golfing buddy) and was there when the outfit he was working with raised their prices 50% which might have been okay but they were also unresponsive to requests.

All of these pretty much share a common thread and that is the ability to set my own schedule. I am also able to do some of it at home which is of course the best option.

arahfool
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us