The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Jewish and Foolish

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/that-was-extremely-moving-you-are-fortunate-to-24736874.aspx

Subject:  Re: Jewish War Veterans Date:  10/24/2006  3:22 PM
Author:  stevenjklein Number:  11206 of 22650

That was extremely moving.

You are fortunate to have such a father, and such an extended family.

A gentile friend of mine (and ex-marine) has made the point that joining the military is one of the best ways for immigrants children of immigrants to prove their loyalty and to become acculturated to American life.

Who were among the most decorated soldiers of WWII? Japanese-Americans in the Nisei brigades. Even while their families were locked up in internment camps, they were fighting and dying for their country. (But only in Europe -- these fine men weren't trusted to fight in the Pacific, and that fact is a stain on our national honor.)

I grew up at a time and place where the military was held in scorn, and we snobbish liberals looked down on those who joined up after high school. The military was something for the lower-classes. If we heard about someone enlisting (or even thinking about it), the presumption was that they were too stupid to get into college.

I'm now embarrassed by the way we behaved back then.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us