The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/great-inspiration-to-others-tour-de-farce-and-24780039.aspx

Subject:  Re: On our way Date:  11/3/2006  2:56 PM
Author:  malaoshi Number:  3877 of 5084

Great inspiration to others, Tour de Farce, and yes, you are rich! In the best way possible.

(I'm a little jealous of your DW's accomplishment in finishing her Ph. D..I'll never manage that..).

I'm happy for you that you are both enjoying where you are at right now, as a result of your own hard work and forethought.She is happy with her job, you are happy with your future, and you are happy with each other.

We are also happy with each other, but I wish I had known more about finances when we married. I have recently retired with a laughable monthly pension ( not even food for a month) but fortunately my DH always patiently socked away money in IRA, etc etc. But his plans involve enjoying it while we can...travel is a huge item on his future retirement budget.

And because he and I didn't talk about the financial side of retirement when we were your age, too much of the effort , the saving and the planning was on his shoulders. Maybe, being of culturally "old European family style" he wanted that, but I wish we'd done what you are doing, by being on the same page from the beginning. If his numbers are right, we are quite comfortable, but if I had it to do over, I would do far more to help!

Just rambling, but in response to your excellent post.

Big MOmma
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us