The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Books & Writing / Reading Room (Fiction/Non)

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/two-things-about-it-led-me-to-that-first-when-i-24786935.aspx

Subject:  Re: Audio books & MP3 player Date:  11/6/2006  1:50 AM
Author:  sydsydsyd Number:  903 of 918

Two things about it led me to that: first, when I transferred an audio book it wouldn't keep the tracks in the right order, even though they were sorted and named properly (Title Disc 01, Track 01, etc) in Windows Explorer. It kept sorting all the track 01s, then 02s, and so on.

It was probably sorting based on the tag data in embedded in the files, as opposed to the file names. Most library management software has an option to "set tag data based on file name" (and vice versa) - you could try that. I haven't used MusicMatch in a couple of years, but I seem to recall that it could do this.

I like the iRiver scheme of sorting by folder and file names better, though. It's simple and less likely to give unexpected results. You're correct that the current models seem to be more focused on bells and whistles such as color displays. I have an older 40GB (hard drive) model - they don't seem to make one bigger than 20GB anymore, so in my opinion iRiver has taken a step backward since the old days.

Sorry I can't recommend any specific current players, but please post here when you do find something, as many of us will no doubt be interested.

sydsydsyd
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us