The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Jewish and Foolish

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/and-how-do-they-decide-which-commandments-are-24824258.aspx

Subject:  Re: Saul/Paul, & the invention of Christianity Date:  11/14/2006  8:41 PM
Author:  mapicsman Number:  11900 of 22704

And how do they decide which commandments are inconsequential?

If you ask the man on the street (or in the pew) how he descides which commandments are inconsequential, you will get many different answers. But Saul/Paul wrote to his disciple Timothy that "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work" The only scripture that existed at the time that Paul wrote this was the Tanach.

Yeshua is quoted in the Book of John - "He who has My commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves Me; and he who loves Me shall be loved by My Father, and I will love him, and will disclose Myself to him."

I think it is pretty clear He is referring to the Torah, but that still doesn't explain how most Christians decide which commandments are inconsequential. I believe for some it comes down to "feelings" and the source material is ignored.

Quotes from the NASB

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us