The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Investing after retirement Date:  11/30/2006  10:18 AM
Author:  foolazis Number:  54562 of 88757

My question is this: Since I own that stock while I was still working can I assume that it is "Earned Income" and does that mean I can put it into a Roth IRA since I also paid tax when the options were exercised?

Unfortunately, you can't contribute shares of stock to any IRA, Roth or traditional. IRA contributions can only be made in cash. You would have to sell the shares first before contributing to the IRA.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us