The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Sports / 77's Foolish House of Pigskin

Subject:  Why being a Falcons fan is masochistic Date:  12/26/2006  1:56 PM
Author:  path40a Number:  54161 of 100035

O.K., I'll admit that I wasn't always a Falcons fan, but being a 22 year Georgia Tech Alumnus who's had more team-induced heartbreak than one should have to endure, I must have been drawn to the self loathing that's part of the Atlanta Falcon experience. Having moved here from St. Louis more than 27 years ago, I used to laugh at all the local sports franchise(s) like I did the football team that I'd left behind - Bill Bidwell's (my younger brother had gone to school with that owner's son back in Clayton, Missouri) muddled mess that used to stink up the same name of that city's hallowed baseball team. But then I got caught up in all the hype and excitement that surrounded the team when it drafted a certain Virginia Tech player as the number one pick several years ago, and the rest is my sad history.

After making it to the NFC's Championship game in 2005, last year was miserable. We'd started the season with so much promise, posting a 6-2 record before our collapse, going 2-6 to finish 8-8. But some teams might actually be happy with such a result. I mean, it's not like we had a losing record, right?

Well, this year too began much the same, two straight wins over conference rivals, the first was a road victory over a team that (preseason) was projected to go to the Super Bowl this year! Then we came up lame in an emotional loss to New Orleans during their Monday night return to the Superdome, but things got better in a hurry because we won