The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/building-a-muni-bond-portfoli0-25005104.aspx

Subject:  building a muni bond portfoli0 Date:  1/5/2007  9:36 PM
Author:  sn00zedoc Number:  19296 of 36218

Having reached the young age of 50 several years ago, and having been a FOOLISH investor for decades, with no dept and living the lifestyle of the MILLIONAIRE NEXT DOOR, I find myself with an interesting challenge. I have divested of 400K of commercial real estate and whereas 10 years ago I would have found a home for this $$ in value stocks, I'm now interested in developing a portfolio of muni bonds (35+% bracket), with the thought that I might actually retire someday and should move at least a little $$ out of equities. I could simply put this in a Vang (PA) tax free money market or intermediate term muni bond fund but suspect that with the amount I'm talking about the fees would be less if I actually bought bonds. This is something I've never done. I'm rather loath to (after 20 years) pay a full service broker. I supect that I would be best off building a "ladder" of bonds maturing from say 1 to 5 years. But, I have no experience with this! So, I would value any ideas and resources that the esteemed members of this board would care to offer.
thanks.......sn00zedoc
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us