The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/not-to-detract-from-your-main-point-with-which-i-25009603.aspx

Subject:  Re: The Net Worth of American Households Date:  1/7/2007  5:27 PM
Author:  MacNugget Number:  19322 of 35400

Not to detract from your main point, with which I heartily agree, but one turn of phrase rang false to my ears:

$500k is merely the size of robustly-constructed, properly-diversified portfolio.

Robust construction and proper diversification in a portfolio seem to me to be almost entirely unrelated to the size of the portfolio. $500k can just as easily be "the size of" a poorly-constructed, un-diversified portfolio. By the same token, a $10,000 portfolio can be well-constructed and diversified (albeit in a less manual manner).

Whether or not we should expect the average american household to have a net worth topping $500k is orthogonal to your descriptive terms. I think the choice of language in this sentence was crafted to paint a particular emotional picture and I think that your main point could have been better served with less wordsmithing.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us