The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-30-years-old-and-have-a-net-worth-just-over-25010020.aspx

Subject:  Re: The Net Worth of American Households Date:  1/7/2007  8:08 PM
Author:  jmcjls Number:  19333 of 35357

I'm 30 years old and have a net worth just over $100,000. My highest income over the last 10 years was $51,000 and that was just once. Mostly it has been low 40s or high 30s. My wife and I managed to save money in ROTHs while giving over 10% of our gross wages every year. We also have 2 kids and no insurance for the second birth which we paid $11,000 for in cash.

My point is that poverty for most people is a choice and as Americans we have chosen poorly. The most important thing my family has done that others haven't can be summed up with one word: Discipline.

And where do you live? Comparing a $51,000/year salary in San Francisco or NYC is much different than comparing a $51,000/year salary in Mississippi or North Dakota. It's an apples to oranges comparison rather than an apples to apples one. (Plus you say nothing of what your wife earns, if she works for an income. So is $51,000 even your household income?)

jmc

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us