The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Learning to Invest / My Dumbest Investment

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/exodus-communications-25022302.aspx

Subject:  Exodus Communications Date:  1/10/2007  12:49 PM
Author:  IainKelly Number:  2390 of 4323

I worked for the company, had a lot of stock options, and bought stock as part of the company plan. I was a millionaire on paper for awhile, and greatly believed in the company. I was involved with strategic customers, and sales, and could not believe the company would go bankrupt. I did not sell my options when I should have, and lost everything.

What I learned is sales don't necessarily make the company. What I learned from fool.com is the discipline to look at the fundamentals. If I had used that discipline with Exodus I would have seen large amounts of long term debt, and no cash reserves to survive a downturn.

I will say I'm very grateful for the lessons learned. It also prompted me to change my focus from trying to get rich, to working on being happy. I took a closer look at my health, and work, and found a company that supported good health in their employees. I ran marathons, and now I enjoy triathlons, at 53. I believe that is worth more than what I would have got from my Exodus stock options.

Copyright 1996-2017 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us