The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ginko-its-before-taxes-i-opened-an-ing-account-25080610.aspx

Subject:  Re: nebroots February budget Date:  1/24/2007  3:20 PM
Author:  nebroots Number:  246030 of 308782

ginko, it's before taxes. I opened an ING account and confidently deposited 10% of one of my checks into it, thinking I'd at least get the ball rolling. I need to do some research into what income levels would trigger quarterly taxes. I am currently gathering up stuff for our 2006 taxes and have this issue on my list for our accountant. I'm sure the 10% is too low.

aj, that's a good point. Looking over the spending I tracked for January, I'd say that 80/week babysitter, 40/week gas, 140/week groceries. That leaves 40/spending money total...20 for each of us. I never like to break it down that much, but, my downfall has been spending different buckets more than once. For example, I'll get $100 cash for the week, knowing I'll need 80 for the babysitter. So I've got 20 for my blow-money, right? Well, 28 dollars spent later, I re-juggle my buckets again, and mentally take something else out of the checking where I go to withdraw another 20 to pay the babysitter. I think I'm beginning to see where that 20 comes from...we put it on the card. uggh.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us