The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt


Subject:  Re: nebroots February budget Date:  1/24/2007  3:34 PM
Author:  Gingko100 Number:  246036 of 312187

At risk of hijacking this thread further...

I did a quick look-see on the IRS site and the criteria for paying taxes for the self-employed is:

Were you self-employed with earnings of more than $400.00?

So, it would seem you definitely qualify. If you are paid net, and are subject to taxes you have to pay estimated quarterly tax. And in fact it gets worse - if you underpay (in any given quarter? ask your CPA) - they ding you for penalties. So while you *could* just wait and pay all at end of year, hoping for a windfall, you'd be better in terms of penalties, etc to pay as you go...

Good luck!
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us