The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/d-mom-you-make-good-points-some-of-which-ive-25081494.aspx

Subject:  Re: nebroots February budget Date:  1/24/2007  5:14 PM
Author:  nebroots Number:  246051 of 308229

d-mom, you make good points, some of which I've thought of, others not so much (la, la, la, I can't hear you...)

1. the taxes. I only made between 5-7K in 2006, so I haven't done all the figgerin' about our taxes. I keep thinking that our big ol' interest payment on our house will help us out for these taxes. And, I have on my list to look into making quarterly payments and talking with our accountant about what our overall picture might look like for 2007.

2. Hmmm. Taking this under advisement for some "mature reflection" as my tax professor would say at the end of each class.

3. Cell is pretty cheap for this area. We get a discount for my husband being a state employee from Verizon.

4. The landline is something I'm waffling about. We didn't have one for about 3 years, but with the kids being home with a sitter, it makes me a little nervous. Any teenage sitter these days would have a phone, but I'd frankly rather they didn't have it turned on when they're working. My daytime sitter doesn't have a cell. I could be convinced to go without a landline, but probably won't b/c I'm not sure the hassle is worth the savings (less than one billable hour)

***side note; last night the middle boy was up a lot, coughing, and waking me up. After one of these episodes, I fell back asleep and dreamed that "taking care of coughing child" had a client number and was billable. If only.

5 and 6. Gym is cheap and we use it > 40 times a month. Karate contract ends after February and it's $100 cancellation fee, so makes more sense to pay the last month. Oldest son likes it well enough when he gets there, but has said more than once he wants to quit, so it's looking like his martial arts career will end with a yellow belt. Breaking out grocery/gas/etc probably a good idea, I estimated it replying to AJ earlier in the thread.

House insurance and r/e taxes are included in both mortgage payments. Pets included in grocery for food, will need to put in vet bills in future months.

Your other items, especially the medical/dental, are all things that push me into the screeching/tearing out hair realm. I realize they need to be accounted for and given a home in a future budget. Hopefully, the near future, after we get through February.

Still Breathing Deeply,
Dallas
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us