The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/youre-learning-to-change-your-thought-process-25081548.aspx

Subject:  Re: nebroots February budget Date:  1/24/2007  5:21 PM
Author:  nebroots Number:  246052 of 308643

You're learning to change your thought process, and mental changes like this take time. When I first started, I would spend without thinking about it at all. Then, I became aware of what I was doing wrong, but did it any way. Finally, I was able to not just see it, but to redirect my attention and give myself a little pat on the back when I successfully avoided spending outside the budget.

Penny, this is so encouraging. I think my biggest struggle is with the disconnect I have between what I "know" and what I "do". It's like, since I've done all the thinking and work of putting together this budget and I got it to come out in the black, I'm done with that task, no further effort required. Then, without any further effort, we're living on the credit cards again! Even though my pretty little budget says we shouldn't need them this month! All my thinking is directed toward a fine activity (the budget) but then shuts off when it comes time to make decisions that affect whether or not the budget gets carried out.

Thank you for the kind words. Now I'm off to defrost some hamburger I have in the freezer so that I don't "effortlessly" call for takeout tonight.

Dallas

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us