The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-may-get-flamed-for-my-next-suggestion-since-i-25082290.aspx

Subject:  Re: nebroots February budget Date:  1/24/2007  8:20 PM
Author:  determinedmom Number:  246061 of 308660

I may get flamed for my next suggestion, since I am in debt paydown mode (after acute and very long extended illness, brief unemployment, getting set-up in a new job, getting promoted and moving expenses), but here goes. I find it hard to keep track of cash and pay almost EVERYTHING on a credit card (that I pay off every month).

Well, I certainly won't flame you for this...because that is what we do as well. I put everything that I can on the Amex card (if I place takes only Master card/Visa I have a card I use for that). I do find it helps in keeping track of what is spent.

I did have stress for awhile because we would charge a great deal on Amex and I would get the bill on the 5th of the month (due around the 30th). I would then *have* to charge during that month in order to be able to pay the bill in full. This was very stressful. That is why I moved to the plan I talked to before. I charge on Amex for convenience, tracking (and rewards) but I immediately put aside the money to pay for it. In fact, I often go ahead and pay before I even receive the bill. That way I am never in a situation where I *must* charge next month to pay off this month's Amex charges.

Now there was a time though when I couldn't have done this and paid it every month. If so, then it wouldn't be good to do this.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us