The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-dallas-my-first-thought-again-was-that-your-25083727.aspx

Subject:  Re: nebroots February budget Date:  1/25/2007  9:00 AM
Author:  Glockenspieler Number:  246104 of 308447

Hi Dallas,

My first thought (again) was that your hourly billable rate is obviously quite high. It's good that you are looking at the "big picture", too, as in the case with your phone line. Is it worth giving THAT up for less than one hour of work? You are not in the dire straits that some people have been in, because you have the option to work a little more and earn a lot more. Even though you are looking to cut from your budget right now, as you look more at the big picture, you may find that a cleaning person is something worth paying for so that you can spend more time with your family when not working. One hour of work lawyering would probably pay for an entire house cleaning.

I have gotten used to looking at what something is worth to me in terms of my hourly "wage". That's what I did when I started doing the Grocery Game for example. Is one hour of easy work while watching TV (organizing and cutting coupons) worth $100 or more? Yes. Is it worth it for me to spend hours going through the fliers and doing it myself to save $100? No. But it might be for others. Same with having someone clean the house. For one thing, I HATE it and feel like when I do it, it's neverending, because I keep getting distracted by other, more urgent, matters. When the cleaning lady comes, I know that she will be done in 4 hours, do a better job, and I know what it costs ME in terms of my work. I prefer to do MY work and not spend 4 hours of family time cleaning.

Just food for thought if you do decide to work more.

GS
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us