The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Arts, Travel & Entertainment / Help With This Home Theater

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/cavemanspaceman-update-25091757.aspx

Subject:  Caveman/Spaceman update Date:  1/26/2007  5:25 PM
Author:  6SpeedFool Number:  3657 of 10514

Well it's all screwed together (Denon 2807 and DefTech 1K series 5.1 system w/10" sub) and seems to be working. Still 3 elephants in the room:

First, the 2807 is 7.1, and I have a 5.1 speaker set. I'm trying to determine if my rear speakers are, using Denon's jargon, 'surround (side) speakers' or 'rear surround speakers.'

Second is learning about the endless varieties of surround formats, decoding and playback modes. The manual doesn't do a real good job explaining why/when I'd manually choose beteween its many modes. Last night I popped in a DVD of 'Heat.' Sounded great, said 5.1 on the case, but no sound out of the rears. Changing nothing, I popped in a DVD of 'The Italian Job' and heard sound from the rears.

Third challenge is to determine if the 2807 can taste what's being pumped trough it and tell me what it is via on-screen information. I tuned in PBS-HD's 'Soundstage' last night - nothing out of the rears. Was the show broadcast in surround? I couldn't tell.

I can tell it'll be great once I become smart as it is.

6Spd, not 6.1

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us