The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/can-we-have-a-prize-for-the-person-who-comes-up-25122668.aspx

Subject:  Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date:  2/2/2007  5:34 PM
Author:  shortstop14 Number:  219 of 59689

Can we have a prize for the person who comes up with the most entertaining volunteer opportunity out there?

Not sure if 'entertaining' actually describes it, but I work with a lot of retired people in the disaster services section of my local Red Cross chapter. For some of them, it can be close to a full time job, actively responding to local disasters (house and apartment fires, etc.) and maintaining the infrastructure for responding. And there are lots of functions that need to be covered, from public affairs and government liaisons to food service and shelter management.

And after getting some experience in the various specialties, you can also sign up to be deployed to disasters across the country.

I enjoy the work, although I'm not retired yet so I only work on local response. And since I'm 50, it's nice to work with a group where I'm considered a youngster.

shortstop14
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us