The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/health-savings-acct-25126738.aspx

Subject:  Health Savings Acct Date:  2/3/2007  10:51 PM
Author:  HeftyDude Number:  91674 of 121585

So in 2006 we got ourselves a new High deductible health plan and a nifty Health Savings Account at work. I maxed out my (supposedly pre-tax) contributions of $3k per year to the HSA to offset the $3k per year deductible. At least that's how they told me it was supposed to work out.

So now I just got my W-2 from the company and box 12a reports that my contributions to the HSA are listed with letter code W which TTax lists as "Employer Contributions to Health Savings Account". Excuse me, but I contributed to that account, not my employer.

Anyway, that contribution now shows up as income on Line 21, per Form 8889 - (I should add here that I imported the W-2 from "e-file" but have verified every box with the paper version). That shouldn't matter though, it's just a way to explain how Form 8889 got into my return without my permission. I don't yet see a way in the interview to discuss the topic of HSAs. Is it in there? Once I get through that topic, will the HSA contributions disappear from taxable income?

So, what gives? Did the employer screw up my W-2? Or was I sold a bill of goods on the whole HSA concept?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us