The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-problem-with-groups-like-earthwatch-though-is-25127670.aspx

Subject:  Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date:  2/4/2007  11:20 AM
Author:  vickifool Number:  258 of 59692

My problem with groups like earthwatch though is that the volunteer activities are so much fun I don't feel like I'm really "volunteering".

You don't have to "suffer" for it to count, sissylue.

The trick is to find something that makes the world a better place that you can do with a glad heart. Arrete's birds are a good example. Or maske's Book 'Em.

My husband and I volunteer a lot. He likes to do things that require research and can be done alone. For example, he took on a job compiling a calendar of events and has done it for about 15 years now. I did it for a year before he did and found it frustrating and unrewarding. He looked into volunteering with the ACLU because he believes civil rights are vital, but it was a bad fit.

I volunteer to lead singing and teach workshops, which he would consider torture. For many groups, I make sure the members know when the next meeting is to be held.

Now that we are both retired, we have time for a few more volunteer activities.

Vickifool
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us