The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-no-delusions-or-illusions-about-it-25131740.aspx

Subject:  Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date:  2/5/2007  1:37 PM
Author:  tenworlds Number:  378 of 63284

I have no delusions or illusions about it, though. I know going in that we will never get anywhere near our money back out of it when we are finally tired of motoring around and decide to sell it. That's important to realize right up front, I think.
-----

Consider 'pre-owned'. I have a friend who bought one of those beasts the size of a Greyhound VistaCruiser. It had sections that 'expanded' the living room and bedroom when it was parked. Full bath, plus a washer and dryer set-up. The kitchen had a dishwasher. It had two generators, one being for 'back-up'. I swear, it was larger than some apartments I've had.
Anyway, he had it for about a year when he developed throat cancer (survived, doing well) and had to sell it, just because of the maintenance required. He said he lost about $60, 000 on it. He bought a smaller (about 2/3 the size) one, no 'expando' rooms, one generator. Just smaller all around. He said he bought it 'used' (but I couldn't see any evidence of use) for about 1/2 what he would have paid for a new one the same size.

Might be worth checking into.

But having an RV will allow us to go to wonderful places off the beaten path and always be able to sleep on our own sheets at night. Something to be said for that.
-----
Ditto. Absofrikkinlutely ditto. ;-)

Rich
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us