The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/consider-pre-owned-i-have-a-friend-who-bought-25131845.aspx

Subject:  Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date:  2/5/2007  1:52 PM
Author:  AngelMay Number:  383 of 60186

Consider 'pre-owned'. I have a friend who bought one of those beasts the size of a Greyhound VistaCruiser. It had sections that 'expanded' the living room and bedroom when it was parked. Full bath, plus a washer and dryer set-up. The kitchen had a dishwasher. It had two generators, one being for 'back-up'. I swear, it was larger than some apartments I've had.
Anyway, he had it for about a year when he developed throat cancer (survived, doing well) and had to sell it, just because of the maintenance required. He said he lost about $60, 000 on it. He bought a smaller (about 2/3 the size) one, no 'expando' rooms, one generator. Just smaller all around. He said he bought it 'used' (but I couldn't see any evidence of use) for about 1/2 what he would have paid for a new one the same size.

Might be worth checking into.

We definitely don't want a huge monster. Friends have a 24-ft. RV and they love it. They are in Mexico now and having quite a good time in that little thing. I wouldn't mind something between 24 and 27 feet ... something in that range. It's a little scary thinking about trying to maneuver anything bigger. I have enough trouble just backing up the Subaru when I make a trip to the local dump. :)

AM
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us