The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early Liberal Edition


Subject:  Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date:  2/5/2007  9:08 PM
Author:  MichaelRead Number:  498 of 116458

It's only in the last week or so that you need a passport to come back from Mexico. PITA.


Yep. And because of this, I've wondered recently about that little teensy section of Washington State that hangs off of Canada and is not connected to any other land. Do the residents there -- all of them -- have to have a passport to drive up through Canada and back down into the United States for them to go to school or work? That must be a right royal mess for those particular citizens.

I'd really like to know how well this passport business is being enforced in those special cases.


That's Point Roberts ( for a map. Until January 2008 a passport isn't needed to travel to and from Canada if you travel by boat or car. Only if you're flying. Also, if you have a Nexus Card (for frequent travelers who cross the border) this card is now a de facto passport for air travel.

A lot of school-age kids travel daily from Point Roberts through Canada and back into the US at Blaine, Washington. This has been a long-time practice and these kids go straight through both border checking stations without hassle.

However, about 70 percent of those living in Point Roberts are Canadian.

I fish a lot off the southern tip of Point Roberts for salmon and sometimes gas up at the marina there. Nice place.

I live East of the Point in White Rock. It's on the map link above.


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us