The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltltim-not-exactly-sure-when-they-arrive-but-25133892.aspx

Subject:  Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date:  2/5/2007  9:39 PM
Author:  SeattlePioneer Number:  504 of 61266

<<I'm not exactly sure when they arrive.
But it's still too cold right now for a pleasant outing on the open water.

pretty sure your Whales are there year 'round.

the migrations are out in the Actual Ocean (Mexico to Alaska & back) .... time of year depends some on where you're at.

>>

That's right.

Gray whales migrate between Alaska and Mexico along the west coast. Most of the time you need to be out in the ocean to intercept them.

Not always. I once was on a dock at Fort Worden State Park near Port Townsend, Wa. when I happened to look down into the water, to see a thirty foot gray whale swimming by under water. I never saw him come to the surface, and it's the only time I've ever seen a gray whale.

Pretty neat.

There are resident pods of Orcas that travel around the Straight of Georgia, Straight of Juan De Fuca and Puget Sound. There are plenty of whale chasing tour boats to take people out to see these whales from Bellingham, Port Townsend, Friday Harbor and other towns in these areas.

The best cheap wahle watching tour is to take the Washington State Ferry from Annacortes to Sidney, British Columbia on Vancouver Island. You get the best ferry boat ride around, and a good chance of seeing whales to boot. In addition, you can see Victoria, the wonderful provincial capitol of British Columbia.

Twenty five years ago I was saving all my nickels and dimes investing in the stock market, and borrowed a twelve foot aluminum boat to go rowboat cruising through the San Juan Islands. Every day I had whales coming up near my boat to investigate what I was doing. There was always the noise of the orcas expelling their breath, which was loud enough to be unmistakable, and I could look around to see one or more whales often fifty to a hundred feet or so away from my boat.

A very nice, and cheap, form of adventure.

Seattle Pioneer
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us