The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/seattlepioneer-says-some-are-prepared-some-will-25134348.aspx

Subject:  Re: Blue Collar Early Retirement Date:  2/6/2007  12:07 AM
Author:  cliff666 Number:  544 of 56746

SeattlePioneer says

Some are prepared. Some will never be prepared. And other can't imagine being prepared for unexpected problems or opportunities.

Well you're just such a superior person, how can anyone say anything to you?

Actually, SP is right on in this case. The average savings of people in the US is mind-bogglingly little. Speaking from my own experience, if I may be indulged: I found myself laid off from my aerospace job after the collapse of the USSR. My "peace dividend" was to lose my job. I never expected to work again. Aerospace was shrinking, and having been tarred with that brush, it is nearly impossible to go to another industry. I had around $100,000 total savings.

I got invited to go back to TRW after one year (to the day) as a contract employee. (Less than one year and they have to give you your old position back.) I resolved to never again allow myself th be unemployed and broke. Started an aggressive savings campaign. which I was able to continue for ten years. I am now retired, with more than I ever dreamed of saving. SP's comments about his blue-collar associates apply equally to white collar types. I was there.

cliff
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us