The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/actually-sp-i-have-found-that-this-applies-not-25134986.aspx

Subject:  Re: Blue Collar Early Retirement Date:  2/6/2007  8:54 AM
Author:  parger Number:  571 of 61398

Actually SP, I have found that this applies not only to blue collars, but also to white collars. I don't agree at all with this statement "frugality, thrift and investing are deviant values among blue collars and the middle class as a rule, and efforts to promote such values will often be met with angry hostility." My family is completely middle class, and consists of WORKERS -- blue, white, pink collar .... whatever. Some are frugal; some are not. I have found that works with all my friends too. But, I tend not to try to categorize people too much -- I just try and take them at face value.

Perhaps you just tend to socialize more with your blue collar counterparts and are just drawing your conclusions from your limited contacts. But, according to the above, even your experience shows that your group consists of people with all sorts of different mindsets.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us