The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/some-are-prepared-some-will-never-be-prepared-25136716.aspx

Subject:  Re: Blue Collar Early Retirement Date:  2/6/2007  1:51 PM
Author:  Goofyhoofy Number:  720 of 59142

Some are prepared. Some will never be prepared.

The larger the data set, the more accurate it tends to be. If we look at "elder America" when Social Security began (a fairly large data set), we find that nearly half of them were living in (the technical definition of) poverty at that time.

According to government statistics (of which there are many more, these days), if Social Security were to end tomorrow, we would find about half the elder population living in (the technical definition of) poverty.

I can therefore conclude that people haven't changed - some are prepared, and some never will be. I can also conclude that "Social Security" and the expectation of it has not changed human behavior, and revert to the same conclusion: "some prepare and some do not", a tale as old as the ant and the grasshopper.

But should good liberals be planning for such luxuries at all? Isn't early retirement really an activity for a wealthy elite to aim for, and by grasping Republicans in particular?

I applaud the virulent stupidity of such statements, for it demonstrates with unapproachable clarity why the other Retirement Board became such a cesspool of ignorance.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us